Lakes Visitor Center (NGLVC). Each off-site activity will have a group departing from NGLVC.
In 2014 we have planned Penokee Mountain Day trips on Friday and in the afternoon
activities 60-66 depart from Gilman Park in Mellen at the times listed in the book.
However, some activities located in communities around the bay will also
have a local meeting point and time listed in their descriptions so you can start at
that site for your convenience. For example, if you were in Bayfield for a birding
hike early Thursday morning and you wanted to join the next hike also near Bayfield
later that morning, then you could meet directly at the site and wouldn’t have to
drive back and forth from NGLVC. Call the Chamber to make sure of the meeting location.
It is the responsibility of the trip participant to be at the correct location at the correct
time. Be sure to allow enough travel time between programs and field trips. Refer to
the mileage key.
Things to consider before your adventure
1. All registration packets are to be picked up at the Northern Great Lakes
Visitor Center. Be sure to check in at the Center and receive your packet.
2. For field trips, make sure to arrive 15 minutes early to check in with the trip leader.
3. Please bring: insect repellent, water, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, appropriate
footwear, binoculars, a camera and a field guide.
4. For kayak trips, wear shoes/sandals that will stay on and that you do not
mind getting wet.
5. Be prepared for various weather conditions, including rain, wind, or even snow, with temperatures ranging from 30-70 degrees F.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival reserves the right to cancel a festival
activity or substitute qualified presenters when necessary. If we cancel an event for
any reason, a full refund will be issued. Should that unlikely occurrence become
necessary, you will be notified in as timely a manner as possible.
Registrations will be cancelled by email, fax or mail following this established
• Cancellations made by May 1, 2017 will be refunded at 50% of the total
• Cancellations made after May 1, 2017 will not be refunded.
Getting To and From Chequamegon Bay
The Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center is conveniently located at the intersection of County Hwy G and US Hwy 2, just two miles west of Ashland, Wisconsin. For area information visit the Ashland County website. For directions to the area, use Google maps.
- Chicago – 7 hours
- Beloit – 6 hours
- Milwaukee – 6 hours
- Madison – 5 hours
- Green Bay – 4 hours
- Marquette – 3 hours
- Eau Claire – 3 hours
- Minneapolis – 3 1/2 hours
- Minocqua – 2 hours
- Duluth – 1 1/2 hour
- Superior – 1 hour